Improving Your Life With Better Medical Equipment

« Back to Home

Leftover Medical Supplies, After A Relative Passes Away? What To Do Next

Posted on

Elderly people require a lot of different personal and medical supplies, to care for their needs. When they pass away, they leave behind diabetes medical supplies, adult incontinence products, ostomy supplies, and a variety of other products. If you recently had an elderly relative pass away and you now have all of these extra items left behind, you might be wondering what to do with them. The following options can help you unload these supplies, without wasting them or throwing them in the trash. 

Glucose Test Strips

There are some companies that are willing to purchase unused and unopened diabetic supplies and test strips for cash. This is a nice way to dispose of the extra supplies you have on hand, while making a little extra money to help with funeral expenses for your deceased relative. These companies that take the test strips may also take the unused lancets if the box(es) of lancets has never been opened. 

Ostomy and Catheter Supplies

Ostomy and catheter supplies need to be unopened and sterile. You may be able to return these to the medical supply company for a refund. You may also donate them to various charitable organizations that assist elderly people who are impoverished and/or on a very tight budget. This service is much rarer than the companies that buy unused diabetic testing supplies, but there are ostomy and catheter companies that will purchase your sterile, unused, and unopened products. They will resell these items at a discount. 

Unused Packages of Incontinence Products

If your relative received the incontinence products via mail, you may be able to call the company and ship the unopened product packages back, for a refund. If there are one or two packages that have been opened, but there are still many products left inside the opened packages, you may donate these to homeless shelters and nursing homes. The tax modification will offset any final taxes your relative owes, for the year in which he/she passed away. 

Canes, Walkers, Etc.

Mobility products of this sort are often donated to thrift stores. Again, the tax deduction would be for your deceased relative's taxes, so make sure you get a receipt. Canes, walkers, and other non-electric mobility products can be purchased either by people who need them or by non-disabled consumers who want these items for a theatrical prop, a temporary medical need, or for their own aging relatives.